Friday 29 October 2010

On Being a Parent: A Mothers Eye View.


Motherhood: Through My Eyes.

Fat Bum Mum and Baby Ro.

When I was around 14 or so I distinctly remember my Mum telling me that "labour is the easy part of being a mother." I didn't think this could be true because on all the TV programmes and movies I watched labour looked like a horror movie sequence. 

What with all the blood, bodily fluids and guts spilling out - not to mention the pain experienced. How could labour be the "easiest" part of parenthood?

As I've been a mother for nearly 9 months of my life (and more, if you include pregnancy) I can categorically state that labour seems to be the easiest part so far. Labour comes and goes. I know many people have complications and I am not trying to belittle that experience or say that labour is easy in any way - because it's not - but being a parent is a huge task.

If you think about it, it's a 24/7 on call thing. Because most mothers get on with things and make no real complaints, it looks effortless and easy to most. Then you sink yourself into it and it's hard.

There have been a lot of things I have tried my hand at and I can say that hands down being a Mum is the hardest. But all the cliches are true. It is also the most rewarding thing.


It will shrink your wallet and expand your waistline (see above photos for proof.) Make your hair fall out and turn grey. But if you let it, it will never shake your confidence or undermine your strength or self worth.

And I would always advise to never walk the road alone without the help of someone like this:


We all know the phrase of "no one is perfect" and again, it's a cliche, but it's true. This is the man who had never changed a nappy, never had a sleepless night due to a crying child, had never fed a baby a bottle or a meal and I just knew he was in for a shock. 

I waited and waited for shock to kick in, but it still hasn't. I don't know how he copes half the time as I'm struggling to keep up with it all myself. It's over whelming at the best of times in so many ways.


Bad Days.


Good Days.


And the "getting dressed in the dark days."

I would do all of these days over and over again and the best part is that I know I will. And I will look back with a smile on my face, even if I felt like dying on one of those horrible days.